Learn how to correctly use the pronoun “He” in English, including its definition, common usages, and important rules to follow. Includes 20 sample sentences to help improve your writing.
Definition of He
Without additional context, “He” is a pronoun that is used to refer to a male person or animal that has already been mentioned or is otherwise known to the speaker and listener. It can also be used as a third-person singular pronoun to refer to a person of unknown gender or to a non-human object or concept.
How is “He” used in English? What are the rules of use of “He”?
“He” is a pronoun that is used to refer to a male person, animal or object that has already been mentioned or is otherwise known to the speaker and listener. Here are some common ways “He” is used in English:
- Referring to a specific male person: “He is my brother.”
- Referring to a male animal: “He is a strong horse.”
- Referring to an object or concept that is often personified with male gender: “He is a powerful leader.”
- Using “he” as a generic pronoun to refer to any person, regardless of gender: “If someone needs help, he should ask for it.”
Here are some rules to keep in mind when using “He”:
- “He” is always capitalized when it is used as a pronoun to refer to a specific male person or animal.
- Use “He” to refer to a person, animal, or object that is known to be male or is typically associated with male gender.
- Use “He” as a generic pronoun only if the gender of the person being referred to is unknown, or if the gender is not important to the context of the sentence. However, in more formal writing, it is often preferable to use gender-neutral language, such as “they” or “he or she.”
- Be careful not to use “he” when referring to a person whose gender identity is not male. Instead, use gender-neutral pronouns such as “they” or ask the person which pronoun they prefer to be referred to as.
How to use the word He in a sentence?
Here are 20 sample sentences that use the word “He”:
- He is a good athlete.
- He is always late to class.
- He walked his dog around the block.
- He is my favorite teacher.
- He won the championship game.
- He went to the store to buy some milk.
- He plays the guitar beautifully.
- He works in the finance industry.
- He is tall and handsome.
- He never forgets a birthday.
- He is the CEO of the company.
- He cooked dinner for his family.
- He loves to read science fiction novels.
- He has a great sense of humor.
- He is a loyal friend.
- He took a nap after lunch.
- He drove his car to the beach.
- He listens to classical music in his spare time.
- He speaks five languages fluently.
- He enjoys hiking in the mountains.