Learn about National Support Teen Literature Day, its history, and why it’s important for promoting literacy and a love of reading among young adults. Discover ways to celebrate the day, from hosting author visits to organizing book drives, and more.
National Support Teen Literature Day is a day celebrated annually on the third Thursday of April, that aims to raise awareness and support for young adult literature. It is an initiative of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA). The day provides an opportunity to showcase the importance of literature in the lives of teens and to encourage reading, particularly for pleasure. National Support Teen Literature Day also promotes literacy and emphasizes the role of libraries in providing access to quality literature for young adults.
History of National Support Teen Literature Day
National Support Teen Literature Day was first observed on April 14, 2010. It was created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) as a part of their Teen Read Week™, an annual event that encourages reading among teenagers. The day was established to raise awareness about young adult literature and its role in promoting literacy and lifelong learning.
Since its inception, National Support Teen Literature Day has been celebrated every year on the third Thursday of April. The day provides an opportunity for libraries, schools, and other organizations to showcase their young adult book collections and host events that promote reading and literature appreciation among teens. The day also recognizes and celebrates the contributions of young adult authors, illustrators, and publishers.
Over the years, National Support Teen Literature Day has gained momentum and has become an important event in the literary community. Many libraries and schools organize events such as book discussions, author visits, and writing workshops to engage young adults and promote reading. Through these initiatives, the day has successfully encouraged many teenagers to become lifelong readers and supporters of young adult literature.
How to Observe National Support Teen Literature Day
There are many ways to observe National Support Teen Literature Day, some ideas are:
- Host a book club or reading group – encourage teens to read and discuss a book that they enjoy.
- Host an author visit or a virtual author chat – invite a young adult author to speak with your community about their writing process and their books.
- Organize a writing workshop – encourage teens to write their own stories or poems and share their work with others.
- Host a book drive – collect new or gently used young adult books and donate them to a local school or library.
- Create a book display – showcase a selection of young adult books in your library or bookstore and promote them to teens.
- Share book recommendations on social media – use social media platforms to recommend young adult books and encourage others to read them.
- Participate in virtual events – many libraries and bookstores host virtual events, such as author talks and book discussions, that can be attended from anywhere.
- Read a young adult book – take time to read a young adult book yourself and share your thoughts about it with others.
Remember, the goal of National Support Teen Literature Day is to promote literacy and encourage a love of reading among young adults. Whatever you choose to do to observe the day, make sure it aligns with this goal and helps to spread awareness about the importance of young adult literature.
Why National Support Teen Literature Day is Important
National Support Teen Literature Day is important for several reasons:
- Promotes Literacy: The day promotes literacy by encouraging young adults to read for pleasure and to engage with literature in a meaningful way.
- Supports Reading for Pleasure: National Support Teen Literature Day highlights the importance of reading for pleasure, which has been shown to improve literacy skills, enhance cognitive development, and improve overall well-being.
- Celebrates Young Adult Literature: The day recognizes and celebrates the contributions of young adult authors, illustrators, and publishers, and highlights the importance of quality literature for teens.
- Encourages Lifelong Reading Habits: By promoting reading among teens, National Support Teen Literature Day helps to instill a lifelong love of reading and learning.
- Provides Access to Quality Literature: The day emphasizes the role of libraries and schools in providing access to quality literature for young adults, regardless of their socioeconomic background.
- Fosters a Sense of Community: The day encourages communities to come together to support and celebrate young adult literature, fostering a sense of community among readers, writers, and book lovers.
Overall, National Support Teen Literature Day is an important initiative that promotes literacy, encourages reading for pleasure, celebrates young adult literature, and fosters a sense of community among readers. By supporting this day, we can help to instill a love of reading in young adults and promote lifelong learning.