Use Portentous in a sentence. How to use the word Portentous in a sentence? How is “Portentous” used in English? What are the rules of use of “Portentous”? Sentence for Portentous.
How is “Portentous” used in English? What are the rules of use of “Portentous”?
“Portentous” is an adjective used in the English language to describe something that is ominous or significant in a way that suggests a future event, especially one that is unpleasant or unwelcome. It is often used to describe an event, situation, or object that is regarded as an omen or a warning of something to come.
Here are some examples of the correct usage of the word “portentous“:
- The dark clouds and thunder in the sky were portentous signs of an upcoming storm.
- The sudden appearance of a shooting star was seen as a portentous omen.
- His tone was portentous as he warned of the dangers ahead.
- The silence in the room was portentous as everyone waited for the next move.
In terms of grammar, “portentous” is typically used as an adjective to describe a noun, and it can be used in both formal and informal settings. The word has a similar meaning to words like ominous, foreboding, and threatening.
Examples of Portentous in a sentence
Here are 30 sentences that use the word “portentous“:
- The sky was a deep shade of blue and the clouds looked portentous.
- The silence was portentous, and no one knew what to say.
- The portentous music playing in the background made everyone nervous.
- The portentous call of the owl echoed in the forest.
- His voice was deep and portentous, and everyone paid attention.
- The earthquake was a portentous sign of things to come.
- The storm was getting closer and the wind became more portentous.
- The rising smoke from the volcano was a portentous sight.
- The stars were shining brightly and there was a portentous feeling in the air.
- The sudden drop in temperature was a portentous sign.
- The portentous howl of the wolves was heard in the distance.
- The portentous news about the drought spread quickly.
- The sinking ship was a portentous sight.
- The flash of lightning was a portentous signal.
- The portentous roar of the lions could be heard from miles away.
- The rising flood waters were a portentous sign of the storm’s strength.
- The portentous shadow of the hawk was cast upon the ground.
- The portentous storm was brewing and it was getting darker by the minute.
- The portentous calm before the storm made everyone anxious.
- The sudden loss of power was a portentous sign of things to come.
- The portentous rumbling of the volcano was getting louder.
- The portentous silence was broken by a loud explosion.
- The portentous darkness covered the city and it felt like the end of the world.
- The portentous sound of the breaking glass echoed in the room.
- The portentous ring of the church bell signaled that something was wrong.
- The portentous clouds of smoke from the fire filled the sky.
- The portentous gust of wind knocked over a tree.
- The sudden drop in pressure was a portentous sign of the storm.
- The portentous crash of the waves against the shore was getting louder.
- The portentous aura of the forest made everyone feel uneasy.