From the origins of Alien Day to popular activities and reasons why fans love to celebrate, we delve into the world of the iconic science fiction/horror franchise. Join us as we explore the rich universe, memorable characters, and passionate community that make Alien Day a special event for fans around the world.
“Alien Day” is an unofficial holiday celebrated by fans of the “Alien” franchise on April 26th of every year. The date is a reference to the planet LV-426, which is featured in the second movie of the series, “Aliens.” The day is a celebration of all things related to the “Alien” universe, including the movies, books, comics, video games, and other media. Fans typically celebrate by hosting marathons of the films, dressing up in costumes, sharing fan art and trivia, and participating in online discussions and events. The day has grown in popularity over the years and has become an important event for fans of science fiction and horror.
History of Alien Day
The history of “Alien Day” can be traced back to 2014 when the first “Alien Day” was celebrated to mark the 35th anniversary of the original “Alien” movie, which was released on May 25, 1979. The event was organized by the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema chain, which held a series of screenings of the film, as well as other events and activities.
The following year, on April 26, 2015, the date was officially designated as “Alien Day” by 20th Century Fox to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of “Aliens,” the second movie in the franchise. To mark the occasion, the studio released a series of limited edition products, including a special edition of the film on Blu-ray, collectible figures, and clothing.
Since then, “Alien Day” has become an annual celebration for fans of the franchise, with various events and activities organized around the world. In recent years, the day has also been used to promote new “Alien” products and releases, such as the Alien: Covenant movie and Alien: Isolation video game.
Overall, “Alien Day” has become an important event in the science fiction and horror community, allowing fans to come together and celebrate their love for the iconic movie franchise.
Alien Day Timeline
Here is a timeline of key events related to “Alien Day”:
- May 25, 1979: The original “Alien” movie is released in theaters.
- 1986: “Aliens,” the second movie in the franchise, is released in theaters.
- 2014: The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema chain celebrates the 35th anniversary of “Alien” by organizing a series of events and screenings.
- April 26, 2015: The first official “Alien Day” is celebrated by 20th Century Fox to mark the 30th anniversary of the release of “Aliens.”
- 2016: The second annual “Alien Day” is celebrated with events and product releases, including a virtual reality experience.
- 2017: “Alien: Covenant,” the sixth movie in the franchise, is released in theaters just a few weeks after “Alien Day.”
- 2018: The “Alien: Offworld Colony Simulator” virtual reality experience is released in conjunction with “Alien Day.”
- 2019: The “Alien” franchise celebrates its 40th anniversary with a series of events and product releases, including a 4K Ultra HD edition of the original movie.
- 2020: “Alien Day” is celebrated virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with a live-streamed event featuring celebrity guests and product announcements.
- 2021: The Alien: Fireteam video game is announced on “Alien Day,” along with other product releases and events.
Overall, “Alien Day” has evolved over the years to become a major event for fans of the franchise, with new product releases, virtual events, and other activities organized each year to celebrate the iconic sci-fi/horror series.
Why is 4/26 Alien Day?
The date 4/26 was chosen as Alien Day to commemorate the planet LV-426, which is a key location in the “Alien” franchise. In the second movie, “Aliens,” the planet is the site of a terraforming colony where the characters encounter the deadly Xenomorphs for the first time. LV-426 has become an important part of the “Alien” mythology and is closely associated with the series.
April 26th was first recognized as Alien Day in 2015, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the release of “Aliens.” Since then, the date has become an annual celebration for fans of the franchise, with various events, product releases, and other activities organized around the world to mark the occasion. Overall, Alien Day serves as an opportunity for fans to come together and celebrate their love for the iconic science fiction/horror series.
Alien Day Activities
There are many ways that fans can celebrate Alien Day. Here are some popular activities:
- Movie Marathon: Many fans like to celebrate Alien Day by watching the entire franchise, starting with the original 1979 “Alien” movie and ending with the most recent releases.
- Costume Contest: Fans can dress up as their favorite characters from the franchise and participate in costume contests. This is a great way to show off your love for the series and compete for prizes.
- Trivia Games: Fans can test their knowledge of the franchise by playing Alien-themed trivia games, either in-person or online.
- Fan Art and Crafts: Fans can create their own Alien-themed art, crafts, and other projects. This is a great way to showcase your creativity and share your work with other fans.
- Virtual Events: Many events are now hosted virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Fans can participate in online events, such as Q&A sessions with actors, creators, and experts in the Alien universe.
- Alien-Themed Food and Drinks: Fans can get creative in the kitchen and prepare Alien-themed food and drinks. For example, you can create a “Facehugger” appetizer or “Chestburster” cocktail.
- Gaming Sessions: Fans can play Alien-themed video games, such as Alien: Isolation or Alien: Fireteam. This is a great way to immerse yourself in the franchise and connect with other fans who share your passion.
Overall, there are many ways to celebrate Alien Day, and fans can get as creative as they want to make the day special and memorable.
Why We Love and Celebrate Alien Day
There are many reasons why fans love and celebrate Alien Day. Here are some of the main reasons:
- The Iconic Franchise: The “Alien” franchise is one of the most iconic science fiction/horror series of all time. It has captivated audiences for over four decades with its blend of suspense, horror, and action.
- The Unique and Memorable Characters: The “Alien” franchise is home to some of the most memorable and iconic characters in cinematic history, such as Ellen Ripley, the tough and resourceful protagonist who has become a feminist icon, and the terrifying Xenomorphs, which are some of the most iconic movie monsters ever created.
- The Rich and Expansive Universe: The “Alien” franchise has created a rich and expansive universe filled with intricate lore and world-building. Fans love to explore the details of the Alien universe, from the various species and planets to the history and technology.
- The Community: The “Alien” franchise has a passionate and dedicated fan base that loves to come together and celebrate their shared love for the series. Alien Day provides an opportunity for fans to connect with each other and share their enthusiasm for the franchise.
- The Nostalgia: For many fans, the “Alien” franchise is tied to fond memories of childhood or early adulthood, making it a beloved part of their personal history.
Overall, fans love and celebrate Alien Day for a variety of reasons, including the iconic franchise, memorable characters, rich universe, community, and nostalgia. Alien Day provides an opportunity for fans to come together and celebrate all that they love about the series.