Coconut oil is a fatty oil made from raw or dried coconuts. It has many health benefits. It is also used in hair and beauty treatment.
But what exactly does this special oil do for the health of your hair? We have looked into this for you.
Prevents fungal infections
Healthy hair starts at the root. By keeping your scalp healthy, you also keep your hair healthier.
Research even shows that the use of coconut oil can help with some types of fungal infections, such as dandruff. It can both prevent and cure it.
Coconut oil is a natural saturated fat. The high percentage of fat in the oil can prevent irritation of the scalp, peeling and itching. The fat can also help maintain moisture in the scalp.
Treats split ends
Coconut oil is more easily absorbed by your hair than mineral oil and other types of oil. This can help prevent and treat split ends. For example, you don’t have to go to the hairdresser as often.
Research has also shown that coconut oil can reduce hair protein loss. This prevents the hair from becoming dry, vulnerable and breaking.
Protects against heat and water
Heat damage can be caused, for example, by sitting in the sun for a long time or by using a hairdryer, curling iron or straightener.
Applying a small amount of coconut oil to wet hair will already protect your hair from this.
How to use coconut oil
Coconut oil can be used on its own or in combination with other ingredients to make a hair and scalp mask, for example. Here is what you need to do with pure use:
- Put a small amount of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Make sure the coconut oil is soft, but not completely liquid.
- Check the temperature of the coconut oil. It should be warm, but not hot.
- Use your fingers to gently massage the coconut oil into your scalp. Then rub it in from the root to the ends.
- Put your hair in a bun and cover it with a towel or hair cap.
- Let it soak for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Wash your hair carefully with your regular shampoo.